Sunday, March 22, 2009

My Presentation Outline...

ToMorroW is My ImpOrtant DAY!!
FINAL BEL PRESENTATION!!!
HuWAa...
NyWay...Below are my preparation outline...


Universiti Teknologi MARA
Kampus Bandaraya Melaka

BEL 492
PRESENTATION SKILL
PREPARATION OUTLINE
“SEXUAL HARASSMENT IN THE
WORKING ENVIRONMENT”


SUBMITTED FOR:
Associate Professor Hj. Sa’aban Hj. Salim
BY:
FARAH UMAINA BT FAJAR KAREEM
(2008280166)
BBHR3A

DUE DATE:
23RD MARCH 2009
TABLE OF CONTENTS

1.0 In Class Activities

2.0 Introduction
2.1 Title
2.2 Reasons for Choosing The Title
2.3 General Purpose
2.4 Specific Purpose
2.5 Central Ideas
2.5.1 Definitions of Sexual Harassment
2.5.2 Forms of Sexual Harassment
2.5.3 Types of Sexual Harassment
2.5.4 Effects of Sexual Harassment
2.5.5 Actions to Be Taken When Being Sexually Harassed


3.0 Body
3.1 Definitions of Sexual Harassment
3.2 Forms of Sexual Harassment
3.3 Types of Sexual Harassment
3.4 Effects of Sexual Harassment
3.5 Actions to Be Taken When Being Sexually Harassed


4.0 Conclusion

References

Evaluation Form


1.0 In Class Activities
1. 06.01.09 Introduction of BEL 492
2. 13.01.09 Lecture : student portfolio and preparation outline
3. 20.01.09 Discussing about the title choosing
4. 27.01.09 Mid-term Break
5. 03.02.09 Discussing about the sources
6. 10.02.09 Lecture :
7. 17.02.09 Lecture : how to prepare the slide for Presentation 1
8. 24.02.09 Presentation 1 (Group 1) (40%)
9. 03.03.09 Presentation 1 (Group 2) (40%)
10. 10.03.09 Lecture : how to prepare the slide for Presentation 2
11. 17.03.09 Lecture :
12. 24.03.09 Presentation 2 (Group 1) (40%)
13. 31.03.09 Presentation 2 (Group 2) (40%)
14. 07.04.09
15. 14.04.09


2.0 Introduction
2.1 Title “Sexual Harassment in the Working Environment”
2.1.1 Reasons of Choosing
To make my audience aware that Sexual Harassment is not a small problem and wants audience to have the knowledge about the true environment of Sexual Harassment at work place.

2.1.2 General Purpose
To inform

2.1.3 Specific Purpose
To inform my audience about the true environment of sexual harassment at work place.

2.1.4 Central Ideas
2.1.4.1 Definitions of Sexual Harassment
2.1.4.2 Forms of Sexual Harassment
2.1.4.3 Types of Sexual Harassment
2.1.4.4 Effects of Sexual Harassment
2.1.4.5 Actions To Be Taken When We Being Sexually Harassed


3.0 Body
3.1 Definitions of Sexual Harassment
• 3.1.1: According to oxford dictionary (6th edition 2000); “sexual harassment is a comment about sex, physical contact, etc. usually happening at work, that a person finds annoying and offensive.”
• 3.1.2: Based on Code of Practice On The Prevention and Eradication of Sexual Harassment In The Workplace-Ministry of Human Resources (1999); “sexual harassment is any unwanted conduct of sexual nature having the effect of verbal, non-verbal, psychological of physical harassment.”
• 3.1.3: Refer to U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) 1980; “Sexual harassment is unwanted and unwelcome behavior, or attention, of a sexual nature that interferes with your life which can affect can affect an individual's work performance, and can create an intimidating, hostile, or offensive environment”


3.2 Forms of Sexual Harassment
· 3.2.1: According to EEOC (1980), there are 3 basic forms of sexual harassment;
· 3.2.1.1:PHYSICAL
3.2.1.1.1: Unsolicited or unwanted touching of any part of clothing or body
3.2.1.1.2: Cornering or blocking
3.2.1.1.3: Stalking or following
· 3.2.1.2: VERBAL
3.2.1.2.1: Profanity- obscene or degrading terms for men or woman and inappropriate use of terms of endearment
3.2.1.2.2: Obscene jokes, cat calls, or cadence with sexual overtones
3.2.1.2.3: Spreading rumors about an individual sex life
3.2.1.2.4: Sexually oriented remarks about a person’s clothing or body
3.2.1.2.5: Persistent requests for dates
· 3.2.1.3: NON–VERBAL
3.2.1.3.1: Gestures made with intentional sexual overtones
3.2.1.3.2: Staring, leering, blowing kisses, licking lips
3.2.1.3.3: Leaving sexually suggestive notes, magazines, cartoons, mugs, or pictures



3.3 Types of Sexual Harassment

• 3.3.1: According to Malaysian Labor Law: Regulation of Employment (1967), there are two types of sexual harassment:
– 3.3.1.1:Sexual coercion
3.3.1.1.1: It is known as Quid Pro Quo sexual harassment in the United States.
3.3.1.1.2: Sexual Coercion is an openly or implicitly offer in keeping a job or getting a promotion is made by a supervisor to an employee in exchange for sexual favors. Such person normally has the power over promotion or raise of the employee.
3.3.1.1.3: In Sexual Coercion, promotion and favorable job benefits will follow if an employee takes the advantage and consented to sex.
– 3.3.1.2: Sexual Annoyance
3.3.1.2.1: It is also known as “hostile environment sexual harassment.”
3.3.1.2.2: Sexual Annoyance is a demeaning and unwelcome sexually related behavior that is offensive, hostile or intimidating to the victim, but has no direct connection to any job benefits.
3.3.1.2.3: Sexual Annoyance includes sexual harassment by an employee against a co-employee. Similarly, sexual harassment by a company's customer against an employee also falls into this category.

3.4 Effects of Sexual Harassment
According to Koss and Boland (1987) there are two types of effects of sexual harassment
• 3.4.1: Common EFFECTS on the VICTIMS
– 3.4.1.1: Decreased work or performance
– 3.4.1.2: Increased absenteeism
– 3.4.1.3: Loss of job or career, loss of income
– 3.4.1.4: Defamation of character and reputation
– 3.4.1.5: Loss of trust in environments similar to where the harassment occurred
– 3.4.1.6: Having to relocate to another city, another job, or another organizations

• 3.4.2: Effects of Sexual Harassment on organizations:
– 3.4.2.1: Decreased productivity and increased team conflict
– 3.4.2.2: Decreased job satisfaction
– 3.4.2.3: Loss of staff and expertise from resignations to avoid harassment or resignations/firings of alleged harassers
– 3.4.2.4: Decreased productivity and/or increased absenteeism by staff
– 3.4.2.5: If the problem is ignored, a company's or organization's image can suffer
– 3.4.2.6: Legal costs if the problem is ignored and complainants take the issue to court.



3.5 Actions should be taken when we being sexually harassed
3.5.1: According to the Malaysian Labour Law: Regulation of Employment (1967) there is only one law in existence that comes close to dealing with the issue of sexual harassment in Malaysia - Penal Code, section 509.
The Penal Code, section 509 provides that:"Whoever, intending to insult the modesty of any women, utters any words, makes any sound or gesture or exhibit any object, intending that such word or sound shall be heard, or such gesture or object shall be seen by such woman, shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to 5 years or with fine, or with both".
In the meantime, these are the actions that have been guided by the Ministry of Human Resource that you need to take if you have been sexually harassed:
– 3.5.1.1: Immediately object the behavior and make clear to the harasser that you don't like what he is doing.
– 3.5.1.2: To avoid any miscommunication, make sure you be clear and direct. Don't apologize or smile.
– 3.5.1.3: Keep written record of each incident.
– 3.5.1.4: Tell someone immediately after it happens.
– 3.5.1.5: Make a formal complaint.



4.0 Conclusion
4.1 To conclude my presentation, I would like to say that sexual harassment is not a small problem that we can ignore. It can happen to anyone of us, women or even man. They harasser might be our boss, our manager, supervisor or may be our own colleagues and the person who have been sexually harassed might experience a whole life-time trauma which might contribute to self suicide if they experienced an extremely stress.
4.2 After we know the exact nature of sexual harassment happen at work place, we should together take actions to overcome this problem before it becoming more serious and becomes culture in the working environment nowadays.
4.3 Prevention is the best tool to eliminate sexual harassment in the workplace. Employers should clearly communicate to employees that sexual harassment will not be tolerated.


References
http://www.eeoc.gov-sh/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/sexualharassment
http://www.jobsdb.com-law/
http://www.mohr.gov.my/
http://www.sexualharassmentsupport.com/
http://www.wccpenang.org/



My blog….
http://www.farahumaina.blogspot.com/


Hope you guys will pray the best for me tomorrow... wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. comey r..gmba tu...kim slm dia ek...
    i nak jemput dia menari ballet..kat my bf bufday party..hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. moley2 amoi... 1 malam wa kasi 200 latus saje meh wa kasi diskaun...lu kasi lu punye no, nnt wa kontek sama lu ha...hek2

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just lost my man about three months ago though he is back again full of love and passion with the help of great man Dr. IKHIDE. I NORAH PEDRO from Norway, have been into a relationship with daniel mark since I was 22 years old and I am 28 now. I so much love him but I could not show the love, it was very difficult for me to prove my realness to him because I thought to prove my love to him might make him look down on me and go after other girls. for over six years Daniel has given me all that I ask of him. I always threatened him with break up each time I want to see his level of love for me because I was told if I threaten him, he will propose to me and then will get married to him before I can show my love despite his complains of him not sure of my love I was responding to him with negative words. though I was suspecting he has another girl in his life, I did not border to ask him about that because I was so sure of his love despite my attitude. on the 8th of September a day to my birthday he came and gave me so many lovely gifts like never before claiming to wish me a happy birthday in advance with his words and behavior I expected him to propose to me on my birthday night then I will also tell him of my pregnant for him. I wait for him on my birthday he did not show up not even a call, I tried his number and it was not going through I refuse to go check on him because the anger in me six days later I went to his house and I found nothing not even a sign of my Daniel once live there. I was disappointed, frustrated, confused with so many thoughts on my mind like hanging my self if I did not see him again because I can not my parent about the pregnancy when the man responsible for it had disappeared. our religion's against that, my family will be disappointed in me, I have brought them shame. I look for daniel everywhere till I could chat with him on social network, he warned me never to disturb him again because he already had found another girl that he wants to live his life with, after a while, he blocked me from all access then I could not tell him of my pregnancy for him. so, I needed help from all corners of life, I decide to check to google my self or read some write up on-site on how to coup with my pain because I could not tell anybody about it not even my friends were aware of my pregnancy. I keep reading to cancel my self till I find how Dr. IKHIDE helps so many persons from different walks of life with their testimonies. then I decide to also contact him with dr.ikhide@gmail.com. Because I do not know much about contacting a spell caster, I was not sure he can bring my Dan back but I decide to give him a try though his requirement was another problem I meet with a friend for help because I could not the items that he needed I have to plead with Dr. IKHIDE to help me get the items because really need my man back to take away my shame. just two days after I send him the requirement Daniel calls me, plead for forgiveness. just yesterday he propose to me and I am so happy. you can also contact him with email: - dr.ikhide@gmail.com or whatsapp :- +2349058825081






























    ReplyDelete